Maybe you’re looking for a job, but it’s hard to find something that applies to your specific training or job experience. Or maybe you’re looking to gain job experience and training. In either case, you might want to consider working for a security guard company.
A private security guard job can be a good foot in the door at a company in Albuquerque, NM, and allow you room to grow within the firm. It can also provide opportunities to learn new skills, as security guards receive much of their training on the job.
Getting hired as a security guard
The process of getting hired as a security guard is not difficult. Typically, all you need is a high school diploma, though experience is always preferred.
Once you apply, you may be called in for an interview. If that goes well, the employer will perform a background check. If that also goes well and you get hired, you will receive training on the job and learn more about your role as time goes on.
Training involves different things depending on the position, the company and sometimes state regulations. For example, armed security guards require more training and possibly could be asked to pass a firearms test. Obviously, they must also be licensed to legally carry a firearm.
Previous law enforcement or military experience is helpful in getting a job with a security guard company in Albuquerque, NM, but not necessary. A college degree in a related field, such as criminal justice, can also be helpful, especially when applying for management or more specialized positions.
What a security guard does
A security guard’s main job is to provide security, of course, but there are other facets to the position you may not be aware of. Even just “providing security” can be more nuanced than it seems. Here are some of the tasks of a security guard:
- Prevent crimes: Security guards are trained to be on the lookout for suspicious activities, and on what to do once potential trouble is identified to deter criminals before a crime even takes place.
- Provide customer service: Security guards are also sometimes asked to be helpful to customers, or give basic information about a business.
- Create a safe environment: Just the presence of a security guard can make customers and employees of the business feel safer. Security guards can stop a criminal from even considering making trouble in a given establishment.
- Keep watch: Ever vigilant, a security guard keeps an eye on everything. With more experience will come more knowledge of what to specifically watch out for, but just having open eyes and ears will help keep things in check.
- Keep order: When situations get tense, or if arguments get loud, security guards are there to help defuse the situation. While they may not be the person in charge of making a decision in a dispute, they are there to make sure things don’t get out of hand.
If you are considering a private security guard job in Albuquerque, NM, contact Advance On-Site Protection Security today to learn more about opportunities with our company.
Categorised in: Security Guard Company
This post was written by Writer